Save the Date!
Boo-le-Bark on Boulevard: 3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 15, rain or shine.
Are you ready for more Halloween costume dog parade fun to benefit Athenspets, Inc. and bring the community together? We are!
The Boulevard Neighborhood Association and members of the Athens community are getting the pups back together for Athens’ second Boo-le-Bark on Boulevard.
The parade will be held on Sunday, Oct. 15, rain or shine, beginning at 3 p.m., when 125 registered dogs and their handlers plus friends, families, and local personalities will wind through the Boulevard neighborhood. The festivities will continue at Jittery Joe’s Roaster, where parade participants and spectators will meet for food, music, fun and lots of photos.
Last year’s parade was a great success, with estimates of up to 1000 in attendance, including spectators with their own costumed dogs. Flagpole magazine, Athens Banner-Herald (also a review, a Spotted gallery and a news gallery), Athens Patch and The Red & Black each gave the parade extensive coverage. Also, check out our video!
Parade route within the Historic Boulevard Neighborhood
Registration fee is $20 per dog.
Maximum of 2 dogs per adult handler.
Registration must be paid prior to day of parade via Paypal.
Rules and Guidelines: The rules and guidelines are to ensure the safety, enjoyment, and respect of all visitors, dogs, the environment and business establishments nearby in the neighborhood. By registering your dog you agree to the following:
- All dogs must be registered. Registration of dog(s) must be completed prior to parade. Registration closes once 125 dogs are registered.
- All handlers must be 18 years old and must check in the day of the event to receive their Registration Tag and sign the Accident Waiver and Release of Liability Form.
- All children walking in the parade who are under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- No more than two dogs permitted per handler.
- Dogs must be kept within the designated staging, parade, and ending location while participating in the parade.
- Dog handlers are required to clean up after their dogs with pet waste bags and dispose waste in the designated receptacles.
- Dogs must have a current rabies vaccination.
- No throwing of candy or dog treats.
- Parade registration tags must be worn at all times by the handler.
- Dogs must be on a leash less than 6 feet; no retractable leashes.
- Dogs wearing shock collars are not permitted.
- The pet’s behavior is the responsibility of the owner, and control of animals must be maintained at all times. Participants/dogs will be required to leave if dog shows any signs of aggression toward people or other animals.
- If your dog is nervous in large crowds, please consider leaving him/her at home.
- No dogs in heat.
- The parade is rain or shine, and no refunds will be issued.
- Dogs must remain leashed at all times. Do not leave dogs unattended.
- Don’t assume all dogs are friendly. Always ask first.
- Minimum of 3 feet between each dog while walking in parade.
- Please wear sensible shoes so you can handle your dog in a safe manner.
- If your dog is stressed or overwhelmed, move off to the side for a moment and take a break.
- Most importantly, use good judgment on all matters concerning your dog.
We’re sorry, but registration has closed for the 2017 parade. Join us on Oct. 15 to watch the parade of dogs through Boulevard!
Our rules and guidelines are to ensure the safety, enjoyment, and respect of all visitors, dogs, the environment and business establishments nearby in the neighborhood. By registering your dog you agree to the rules. The parade is limited to 125 dogs.
In 2016, over 60 Athens businesses and individuals sponsored the event, which raised $4,500 for Athenspets, the all-volunteer 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to helping the animals at Athens-Clarke County Animal Control and to reducing pet overpopulation in the Athens area. Proceeds from this year’s parade will again benefit Athenspets.
For each sponsorship level, you (personal, organization or business) will receive the following:
“Kibble” $25 each
Your name on the Thank You Sponsors poster
Your name on the official parade website page
“Big Bark” $100 each
Your name (or logo) on the Thank You Sponsors poster
Your name (or logo) and link to your website (or Facebook page) on:
- The official parade website page
- The Facebook event page
“Big Boo Bark” $250 each
The same benefits of “Big Bark” level PLUS:
Your name on the Official Event Flyer posted throughout town (if received before 9/01/2017)
Early registration for one dog (registration fee not included)
Sponsorship donations may also be made via check payable to “Athenspets.”
Checks can be mailed to:
P.O. Box 1022
Athens, GA 30603
Athenspets is a 501(c)(3) organization; all donations are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowable by law.
Be a vendor
A limited number of vendor spaces are available for the post-parade event at Jittery Joe’s Roaster. Each vendor will be allotted a 10×10 space in the upper parking lot vendor section (above the music stage). Cost is $25, non-refundable, and must be paid prior to the event.
Vendor space is limited to a first-come, first-serve basis and must be registered by Oct. 2. Vendor spaces are now closed for the 2017 parade.
Volunteer to Help
Interested in volunteering? Please email Annie Sears with your contact information. We would love to get you involved.